Tracksy Web Stats
 

Vokabulary Korner #1: "HOMO TRICK"

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

by Bossy Boots


Although pretty much everyone I know has been urging me to read THE LINE OF BEAUTY for at least a year now, I am sorry to say that I've been delinquent in getting around to it until this weekend. Anyway, I finally finished it, and though I have a lot to say on the subject of the novel itself, I think most people would be bored by my opinions. (Emily, call me; I want to discuss!)

So I will save the lit-crit for another day. In the meantime, the book did open my eyes to an amazing and INCREDIBLY USEFUL new piece of verbiage that I would like to introduce to our readers in what will be the first of many service-oriented VOKABULARY KORNER posts. I, personally, plan on peppering my conversations with the following phrase AT LEAST through the New Year:

HOMO TRICK
(noun)
A cunning tool for social gamesmanship, warfare or hijinx, practiced by a gay with the intent to become more famous and popular. Often perpetrated on unsuspecting heterosexuals, with DISASTROUS results.

A few usage examples from the book:

"'They hate us, you know, they can't breed themselves, they're parasites on generous fools who can. I'm not remotely surprised he led your poor lovely daughter astray like this, exploited her, there's no other word for it. A typical homo trick, of course." (p 416)

And pages later...

"I've been giving it some thought. It's the sort of thing you read about, it's an old homo trick. You can't have a real family so you attach yourself to someone else's..." (p 420)

Trust me, this little turn of phrase will come in especially useful as the holiday party season winds down, and the rehashing begins...

2 Comments:

Anonymous emily said...

God, didn't reading that last quote make your blood boil in a way that it hadn't as a response to fiction since you were about 8 and someone would unfairly accuse someone of cheating or lying in a children's book? That's how I felt. I put down that book and I felt so fucking ANGRY!

Also, MATCH POINT is kind of a retarded, contrived, straight perversion of THE LINE OF BEAUTY.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous alan said...

come on emily. match point came out barely month after the book. get real.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home